Are you looking to improve the value of your home with the intent of selling it down the road? With such an active housing market, it’s very common for homeowners to put some money into their home with the hopes of earning even more money when it’s time to sell. The best way to ensure that you’ll make a profit on your home is by updating the interior of the home. Trends show older homes with remodeled interiors are reselling for almost unimaginable prices.
Don’t worry about gutting your house to be able to make a profit. Instead, start with these six easy projects that are sure to increase the value of your home:
Add a fresh coat of paint. One of the fastest, and easiest ways to touch up an older home is to paint the walls. Adding new paint hides old dings and marks on the wall, and immediately adds a sense of cleanliness to a room. Choose neutral colors to keep your home more desirable to a larger amount of people.
- Replace old carpet. Stained, musty carpet is the perfect way to keep someone from buying your house. Replace any old, outdated carpet with either a modern style of carpet, or even with laminate or hardwood. Hardwood and laminate floors are becoming increasingly popular, and instantly add value to a home.
- Make your home energy efficient. Many homebuyers are looking to buy a home that is already “green” and efficient. Make sure light bulbs, air conditioners and ceiling fans are all updated and energy efficient. Knowing your monthly energy bill is going to be lower because of proper energy precautions is a huge plus for someone wanting to buy a home.
- Landscaping. You don’t have to hire a landscape architect, but it would definitely be worth getting outside and trimming bushes, repairing dead spots in the lawn and cleaning up those edges. Although it might seem minor, when people come looking to buy your home, a well-kept yard is sure to stand out.
- Remodel the bathroom. No one likes a gross, outdated bathroom. Consider replacing the bathroom cabinets, installing a modern-looking sink, and maybe even replacing the tile. A newly remodeled bathroom is sure to attract new home buyers.
- Fix up the kitchen. The room that is most important when it comes to flipping a house is by far the kitchen. This is where people spend a lot of their time, and it’s usually the focal point of every home tour. Start with painting or even replacing the kitchen cabinets, rip up the old linoleum floor, and consider installing a farm style island. By the end of your kitchen remodel, your entire home’s value will have drastically increased.